JOB TITLE Area Secretary for Lancaster & Salford Dioceses
WORK BASE Resident in or near Preston. Working from home and in parishes
RESPONSIBLE TO North West Manager
COORDINATING WITH Accounts Department Staff, Trading Department Staff, Press & Information Staff, Fundraising & Marketing Staff and Head of HR & Office Manager
Aid to the Church in Need is a Catholic charity helping to bring Christ to the world through prayer, information and action; the charity is a Pontifical Foundation of the Catholic Church.
The role of an Area Secretary is to present the work of Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) in the area to which he or she is appointed. He or she will work in a specific area of the Diocese(s) / Area(s) with the permission of the Bishop(s) concerned.
Through talks, appeals and presentations, the main tasks the Area Secretary is responsible for are:
- Awareness – to raise the level of awareness of the activities of this Catholic charity’s pastoral and spiritual work.
- Names – to increase the number of active benefactors of Aid to the Church in Need by collecting on Gift Aid envelopes, the names and contact details of those who wish to receive information about our work.
- Donations – to produce income for the charity by inspiring people to make donations.
- Sale of ACN Trading items – to produce income by holding a stall at each appeal offering a selection of ACN Trading items for sale.
The Area Secretary will give an agreed number of appeals each year. Initially this will be twelve appeals per annum:
The appeals will take place in Church during Mass on Saturday evenings and / or Sundays. One appeal or talk means all Masses in a parish over one weekend. Due to the amalgamation of parishes a parish may occasionally be comprised of several churches and therefore an appeal may occasionally involve speaking at 2 to 3 venues over one weekend.
The Area Secretary may be requested to give up to 3 Talks to school, college or university groups in place of one of the 12 appeals.
The main target of the talks or educational presentations will be to develop useful links with the institution, specifically encouraging students to organise fundraising and prayer activities to support the work of the charity. This can be done through visits to chaplains, speaking at student assemblies, week day meetings or term-time Masses. The Area Secretary will need to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the ethos of the Catholic Church, and be compliant with the aims of Aid to the Church in Need.
He or she will need to have a current driving licence and be willing to travel within the designated Diocese(s) / area(s). The majority of the work will be carried out at weekends and some overnight stays may be required.
To facilitate the rapid and efficient exchange of information, including receiving regular ACN News updates from our Press & Information Department and processing stock orders, the Area Secretary will need to be proficient in the use of Email, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
Management and Team Member
This post will report to the Head of HR & Office Manager, with whom immediate as well as long-term targets will be agreed. The Head of HR & Office Manager will provide the Area Secretary with the necessary support to develop his/her own role.
This role will also develop strong working relationships and liaise with other Area Secretaries within the same region or area, as well as staff from the Accounts, Trading, Press & Information and Fundraising & Marketing Departments.
ACN is committed to offering training and support to all employees. Following an induction across Departments at the UK National Office, on the job training is also provided by means of the prospective Area Secretary ‘shadowing’ two existing Area Secretaries at one of their appeals. The Area Secretary’s manager will be on hand to offer guidance, and will set up weekly telephone meetings during probation to support and monitor progress. The sharing of ideas and good practice is reinforced at the annual two-day residential Area Secretaries Conference and retreat, held near the National Office in Surrey.
TARGETS and EVALUATION
Targets are set and performance is monitored throughout the year. The National Office provides support and publicity material, but booking, setting up and giving appeals relies on the individual’s initiative and ability. A considerable amount of telephone work is involved.
The Area Secretary will be evaluated by the Head of HR & Office Manager on successful completion of duties and agreed target number of appeals being carried out each year. The National Office provides support and publicity material, but booking, setting up and giving appeals relies on the individual’s initiative and ability. A considerable amount of telephone work is involved. The number of appeals to be carried out the following year is agreed in advance in September / October.
- You will be resident in or near Preston
- Hold a driving licence, have access to a car and be prepared to travel throughout the diocese or dioceses assigned
- PC proficiency including email, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Comply with ACN’s GDPR guidelines
- Attend and participate in one Regional / Area Meeting per annum and the annual two-day Residential Area Secretaries Conference
Personal / Interpersonal Competencies
- Sensitivity and empathy with the ethos and mission of this Catholic charity
- Confident, experienced public speaker
- Be an excellent communicator with members of the public, the clergy and colleagues across the organisation
- Target-led professional approach
- Self-starter and comfortable working independently
- Have a structured approach to keeping clear records reflecting income and stock levels
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Salary £315 per weekend of appeals, giving 12 weekends of appeals per annum
- Annual leave: payment for the equivalent of 1 weekend of appeals
- Mileage and out of pocket expenses against receipts
- Auto-enrolment onto our pension scheme after three months’ probation with 5% matched contributions
- Two-day induction at the National UK Office
Closing date: Sunday 3rd February 2019
First Interview: Tuesday 12th February 2019 at our offices in Lancaster.
Second interview: Wednesday 20th February 2019 at National Office in Sutton.
The job application form is available here.