JOB TITLE: Community Outreach Manager
WORK BASE: Aid to the Church in Need UK, National UK Office
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of HR & Office Manager
COORDINATING WITH: Head of Fundraising & Marketing, Events Manager, Head of Operations in Scotland, Direct Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Data Manager, ACN Trading Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Schools & Youth Officer, Resources Officer, Area Secretaries in England and Wales, North West Manager, ACN Parish Representative Volunteers in England and Wales
We are looking for a Community Outreach Manager to support and sustain the growth and expansion of Aid to the Church in Need’s (ACN) work in parishes and communities. This full-time post will report to the Head of HR & Office Manager and work closely with Heads of Department, playing a key role in implementing ACN UK’s five-year strategic plan.
The post-holder will be directly responsible for income generation from ACN’s regional operations in England and Wales. Through our network of Area Secretaries, Regional Managers and ACN Parish Representative Volunteers, who undertake a programme of appeals, talks and benefactor engagement and fundraising activities, the Community Outreach Manager will realise the organisation’s potential and contribute to effective fundraising – as the aim of ACN is to provide more aid to the Church in need.
In line with national fundraising and awareness priorities, key areas of responsibility will include but not be limited to the following:
The Community Outreach Manager, will be responsible for developing regional income, through increasing the number of and outcomes from parish appeals; including one-off donations, regular gifts, Gift Aid, legacies as well as mailing list and e-news sign-ups.
The Community Outreach Manager will develop regional strategies, define budgets, priorities, performance measures and targets with the team of Area Secretaries and the North West Office and future regional offices.
This post will play a pivotal role in putting in place strong communication systems for the Regional Teams and Volunteer networks, and will write and develop such communication and other marketing materials that may be required.
Parish Development – Area Secretaries
This role will be responsible for reviewing parish activity and performance, devising parish engagement strategies, and overseeing the development and implementation of a parish and volunteer fundraising strategy across the 22 Dioceses in England and Wales.
The post-holder will manage the team of existing Area Secretaries, provide regular support and guidance, monitor their progress, and review and set annual appeal and trading targets. The Community Outreach Manager will organise and chair the annual Area Secretaries’ Conference as well as hold annual strategy and review meetings with regional teams.
This role will work with the Head of HR & Office Manager and Regional Managers to recruit new Area Secretaries to expand the team and parish coverage nationally, resulting in an increase in fundraising to provide more aid to the Church in Need.
Volunteer Network Development – ACN Parish Representatives
The post-holder will grow and maintain a strong national network of parish and other volunteers through strong communication and a motivational approach. He or she will motivate and keep regular contact with new and existing ACN Parish Representatives. By developing closer working relationships with them and fulfilling their needs for materials and information, the post-holder will encourage them to fundraise and engage in prayerful activity for the charity on a voluntary basis.
The Community Outreach Manager will draft quarterly newsletters to inform, include, reward and motivate the Parish Representative network. He or she will ensure that the team of Area Secretaries is aware of and in contact with the Parish Representatives in parishes in the dioceses in which they work.
This role will review existing links with and build new networks with parishes, schools, universities and groups. Through strategic approaches and presentations, he or she will increase the involvement of Catholic and Christian groups, in support of our fundraising and awareness objectives. This will include developing strong working relationships and liaison with the Bishops Conference, diocesan retreat centres, parish youth workers, parish priests and religious orders.
Budgets and Income
- Manage and monitor regional income and expenditure.
- Income targets to be agreed.
- Report on a monthly basis to the Head of HR & Office Management and the Head of Fundraising & Marketing on progress and planned income.
- Report to ACN’s Board on a quarterly basis.
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
Management and Team Member
This post will report to the Head of HR & Office Manager, with whom immediate as well as long-term targets will be agreed. The Head of HR & Office Manager will provide the Community Outreach Manager with the necessary support to develop his or her own role.
This role will line manage the Regional Offices and the Area Secretaries in England and Wales, and work closely with Heads of Department and staff across the organisation. He or she will foster and develop strong networks and working relationships as listed above under Key Networks.
The Head of HR & Office Manager will deputise for the Community Outreach Manager in the day-to-day support of Area Secretaries and Regional Offices.
The Community Outreach Manager and the Schools & Youth Officer will deputise for each other to cover speaking engagements.
TARGETS AND EVALUATION
The Community Outreach Manager will support all staff and volunteers within the remit to focus effectively on ACN’s primary mission. He or she will be evaluated on both the overall success of the organisation and the effectiveness of the staff as a team.
Induction, Initial training and hand-over will be provided in-house.
- Significant and demonstrable experience of community fundraising including innovating, developing and leading fundraising activities; engaging new audiences and project management.
- Significant and demonstrable experience of engaging new audiences and initiating and managing community-based fundraising events.
- Strong writing, speaking and presentation skills.
- Proven line management experience, particularly with remote working, and commitment to continuing professional development for the team and volunteer networks.
- Significant experience of managing major projects involving multiple teams.
- Be able to use data, understand analysis and produce board papers and other reports.
- IT literate: Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint essential.
- Car owner and ability to drive.
- Available to travel with occasional overnight stays.
Personal / Interpersonal Competencies
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- A self-starter, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Creative, practical and hands-on approach.
- Ability to motivate staff in a target driven environment.
- Tenacity, persistence and flexibility.
- Motivated by the cause supported by Aid to the Church in Need, sympathy with the mission and values of Aid to the Church in Need, and a good knowledge and understanding of the Catholic Church.
- Experience of developing community or fundraising strategies or leading on strategy development.
- A strategic approach to fundraising and familiarity with a multi-channel, integrated approach.
- Experience of or an interest in the charity sector.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Salary £40,000 – £45,000 per annum, according to experience.
- Full-time: 37.5 hour week, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- Office based but with some national travel and overnight stays.
- 25 days of annual leave plus bank holidays rising to 30 days of annual leave plus bank holidays after five full years of employment.
- Time in lieu policy plus mileage and out of pocket expenses for working at ACN events.
- Auto-enrolment onto our pension scheme after three months’ probation with 5% matched contributions.
- AA Relay Plus cover.
- Private Health Care insurance.
Closing date – Sunday 8th September 2019
1st Interviews – Wednesday 18th September 2019
2nd Interviews – Tuesday 24th September 2019
How to apply:
You can download your application form here.
Applications will only be accepted using our application form. Your completed form should be sent to [email protected] Head of HR & Office Manager.