3 large eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp cloves, ground
1/4 tsp allspice, ground
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chopped nuts (optional)
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick.
- Add vegetable oil, honey, and sour cream.
- Beat well.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
- Gradually mix it into the liquids.
- Add vanilla, and mix well.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans, or a 9 x 13 sheet cake pan (I use the sheet cake pan).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour batter into the pans. Sprinkle nuts over top (optional).
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans onto wire rack, and cool completely.
- Cut to serving pieces and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or If you decide to make it into a torte, this is the time to cut it into layers, and spread you favorite filling.
- Wrap the torte in foil, or saran wrap, and keep it refrigerated, until ready to serve.
- Honey cakes also freeze very well, but you need to wrap it in paper towel, then foil, then freezer plastic bag. Thaw in the fridge a day before serving, all wrapped, to preserve moisture.